7DDS Annual Meeting
4344 Fairport Nine Mile Point Road
Fairport, NY 14450
Fairport, NY 14450
“Oral Pathology Redux: Only the Good Stuff” Presented by John Kalmar, D.M.D., PhD
Registration & Breakfast 7:30 am • Lunch 12:00 pm • Lecture 8:30 am – 4:30 pm 7MCE credits
A fresh take on the detection, diagnosis, and management of both common and significant oral and maxillofacial pathology conditions. We will begin with the standard patient examination and review the medico-legal importance of recording exam findings. Focus areas will include: 1) oral lumps and bumps, 2) salivary gland hypofunction and burning mouth, 3) common and significant skin lesions 4) oral cancer and pre-cancerous lesions and the role of HPV, and 5) commercially-available adjuncts for the detection of oral cancer. Clinical cases and an interactive format will help reinforce the differential diagnostic process as we review the current understanding of disease development and treatment options.
1) To describe the features of a conventional oral, head and neck examination, including its visual and tactile components; to review the physical characteristics of oral lesions that complete the patient record; and to understand the importance of patient follow-up examination
2) To review the clinical characteristics of reactive and neoplastic soft tissue proliferations of the oral cavity and understand the importance of tissue biopsy
3) To describe the clinical features used to distinguish salivary hypofunction and burning mouth syndrome, potential diagnostic measures and treatment options for affected patients
4) To understand clinical setting and features associated with common and significant skin lesions of the head and neck region
5) To review current concepts of oral precancerous and cancerous lesions, including epidemiology, clinical features and commercially-available adjuncts for the detection of oral cancer
6) To describe the distinction between oral and oropharyngeal (tonsillar) cancer, including incidence trends and risk factors, with emphasis on the role of HPV and the potential impact of HPV vaccination
John R. Kalmar, DMD, PhD, is a Professor in the Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology at The Ohio State University. Dr. Kalmar received his dental degree from Southern Illinois University, residency training in hospital dentistry (UNC-Chapel Hill) and oral pathology (Emory University) and a Ph.D. in Experimental Pathology from Emory in 1989. After serving as Director of Clinical Operations in the Emory School of Postgraduate Dentistry from 1989-1992 he joined the faculty of Pathology at the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY. In 1999, he was recruited to Ohio State, where he currently serves as Program Director in Oral Pathology and president of the Ohio State Dental Faculty Practice. Dr. Kalmar is a Past President of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, a diplomate and Past President of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and serves on the Editorial Board of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology (OOOO). Dr. Kalmar has published extensively and has served as a Consultant for the ADA Council of Scientific Affairs. He teaches both pre-and post-doctoral students and enjoys providing continuing education to a variety of professional audiences.
The Seventh District Dental Society is an ADA/CERP recognized provider of Mandatory Continuing Education. Continuing Education (CE) credits are awarded for all lectures that meet the NYSED requirements. One hour of credit is awarded for each 50 minutes of presentation attended. CE forms for NYS Continuing Education requirements will be given to each attendee when checking in at registration. To verify attendance, a four-digit code, read at the end of each seminar must be marked on the CE form. After completing the form please bring the white copy to the registration table before leaving. The yellow copy is for your own records. It is recommended that you retain copies of all your CE forms in case of audit.
$290.00 for ADA Member Dentist
$500.00 for ADA Nonmember
$150.00 for Retired, Staff, Spouse
$85.00 for Residents
Attendee information and payment:
Name: (please print) Attach a list of additional attendees if necessary and include e-mail addresses for confirmation notice.
Email Address (for registration confirmation):
Please make checks payable to: Seventh District Dental Society. Mail along with registration form to: 155 Culver Rd., #200, Rochester, NY 14620.
Registration and credit card payment available by clicking the register button.
Please note there is a convenience fee for credit card payments.
Total Fee: $ __________