Update on Receiving the Vaccine
NYSDA has been in contact with the Vaccine Task Force and they have confirmed that healthcare workers (paid and voluntary) are in group 1a, which includes dentists.
Dentists will be notified by NYSDOH when the vaccine supply is available, where dentists are to go to receive the vaccine, and how to register to make an appointment.
Q: Are dentists part of Phase 1a?
- NYSDA has been in contact with the Vaccine Task Force, which has confirmed that healthcare workers (paid and voluntary), including dentists, are in Priority Group 1a.
- Dentists are in Priority Group 1a and will be notified by DOH when the vaccine supply is available, where they are to go to get it, and how to register and make an appointment.
Dental hygienists and dental assistants are included in healthcare personnel, therefore, are included in Group 1a.
Q: When will I get the vaccine?
- Currently, vaccines for Group 1a, including dentists, will be given in hospitals or Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs). The DOH will let those facilities know which populations of staff or residents will be coming to their facility for vaccination from other agencies or priority groups. These persons will be vaccinated according to DOH instructions. It is not the responsibility of the hospital or FQHC to reach out to the populations outside of their facility as those populations will be provided links to the designated schedule by the DOH.
- Phase 1a vaccinations have begun and are currently taking place for hospital workers, nursing home staff and patients and extended care staff and patients.
- Distribution each week will change depending on vaccine supply. Additional groups of healthcare workers will be added to the groups able to receive the vaccine after the initial groups are completed. Currently only hospital workers and nursing homes are able to receive the vaccine.
Q: Where will I get the vaccine?
- All Group 1a will be receiving the vaccine in hospitals or FQHCs, not NYSDA or local dental societies.
Q: What is NYSDA doing to ensure we are getting the vaccine?
- NYSDA has been in touch with the Vaccine Task Force and DOH on a regular basis.
- NYSDA has advocated and is glad to see that dentists are in the highest Priority Group 1a.
- NYSDA shares information as soon as it becomes available with its members.
Quick links to member-only resources: